Scheme to provide a single storey new classroom extension with associated internal alterations in order to give the school a purpose built classroom of sufficient size for use by a class currently housed in a library space. The proposal includes a 21m² meeting room replacing an existing meeting room and remodelled for circulation needs.
The original school was established by Lady Anderson in about 1814, and the current building was built as a Church of England (Aided) school in 1966. Extra classrooms were added in 1971, with its most recent addition an extension and car park surfacing taking place in 2013.
This single storey extension will have in total an approximate gross floor area of 92m²; externally the canopy will cover an area approximately 43m².
The layout of the proposed extension has been designed in relation to the arrangement of the existing school and its setting on site, and lies within the existing building line. The new extension will be sited to the North East of the existing school, with the external canopy facing North-West. Internally the extension will provide additional learning space, with the external canopy covered learning area becoming an integral part of this.
The extension has been designed to complement the existing layout and appearance of the school, in terms of its situation in the site and the material palette used. The extension is of the same form and scale of the existing buildings with a flat roof and windows to match the existing parts of the school. The creation of the canopy has been utilised to match an existing canopy used for younger children on previous extension elsewhere in the school. The meeting room windows will also match existing windows in the school, the roof height has been offset from the classroom extension to articulate the elevation.